enough for one serving
1 handful of pickled tea leaves (more if desired)*
1 tsp fish sauce
1 1⁄2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
1 1⁄2 Tbsp fresh yellow beans (broad or butter beans)
1 1⁄2 Tbsp dried yellow peas
1 1⁄2 Tbsp roasted peanuts
pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp tamarind juice
1 Tbsp peanut oil
1⁄4 Cup shredded cabbage
1 sliced tomato
Whole, hot African Birds Eye Pepper
Raw garlic cloves (small Asian variety), skin on
1. Boil the tea leaves until they are soft, then rinse with cold water to remove some of the bitterness.
2. With a mortar and pestle, pulverize the leaves and fish sauce.
3. Transfer to a bowl and knead the mixture by hand until blended. (Locals say if you mix the salad with a spoon, the flavors will not blend as well.)
4. Add in all of the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust ingredients for the balance of bitter/ sour/salty/spicy that you prefer.
5. For a zingy option, add shredded cabbage and sliced tomato and serve the salad with finely chopped chile and garlic cloves on the side.
*Available at your local Asian market.