It's National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day! We typically associate deep cleaning with spring, but National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is well positioned - it's right before we're deep into the holiday season. Tackle the project and you'll have plenty of cold storage space for your holiday dishes!
Here are tips from AllSpicer Chris for cleaning your fridge:
- Remove everything from the fridge.
- Take out any removable shelves and drawers. Wash by hand in the sink with hot, soapy water.
- Wipe out the interior of the fridge with warm, soapy water (he doesn't recommend using piping-hot water as it increases the interior temperature of the fridge, making it take longer to cool down).
- Sanitize the interior of the fridge with a solution of 1 Tbsp. bleach to 1 gallon water.
- Assess each item as you place it back into the refrigerator. Chris recommends using the cold food storage chart from foodsafety.gov as a guideline for deciding what to keep and what to pitch.
Don't forget to wipe down the surfaces you used to hold the contents of the refrigerator while you cleaned it.
Have tips for cleaning out the fridge? Share them with us in the comments below!